LAN AS A SERVICE
Centiant working in partnership with Brocade, have developed an innovative new way of procuring networks. This innovative service allows users to purchase physical on site LAN networks on a subscription basis. Paying for what you need now and giving you the flexibility to grown and only pay for what you use in the future.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
We start as always with a conversation with the customer to gain an understanding of the network requirements both now and in the future. We look at the business requirements that may drive demand for LAN going forward include,
- Wireless access requirements. Including the next generation of high speed wireless which may require LAN aggregation (providing two network connections to each Wireless Access Point) increasing the pressure on the network.
- CCTV and other Power over network devices:- Power requirements including PoE, PoE+ and PoH
- Building / Floor Consolidation:- As pressures mount on public sector bodies to achieve savings, and the ever increasing cost of providing office space. Many organisations are actively looking to consolidate floors / buildings, increasing density of user and putting increasing requirements on networks.
Once we have a good understanding of the customers’ business needs we determine the “baseline” number of ports required within each location. This baseline is the absolute minimum number of ports a customer needs within a single Hub room. From this baseline we add 50% expansion capacity to allow rapid expansion without having to add switches. The customer pays a one off fee for the installation of the stack, followed by a monthly service management fee and a price per port of £3 per month / port used. The customer can move between the baseline figure and the 50% expansion on a monthly basis only paying for the ports used that month.
EXAMPLE OF LAAS
Customer A needs to replace its existing unsupported network, but the organisation is currently under a state of flux, with buildings and floors being consolidated. The current network has 300 network ports and after an initial conversation the absolute minimum they are expecting this to drop to is 280 ports, but could increase to as high as 400 ports over a period of the next 18 months / 2 years.
To meet this requirement we set the baseline port level as 280 and provide 50% expansion ports, rounded to the nearest switch providing 432 ports within a single stack. The customer pays a one off installation fee and a monthly service management fee. This provides the customer with the ability to move between 280 and 432 ports only paying the £3 per month / port fee for any activated ports. At the start of the service the customer pays for 300 ports to meet the business needs. After 6 months another department is moved to the floor increasing demand to 350. After 18 months a further department moves in and increases demand to 420 port. All of these moves are within the expansion space with the customer only paying for the ports used during each period.
After 2 years a department leaves the building reducing the demand down to 300 ports. The billing is adjusted the following month with the customer now paying for 300 ports.
Our LAN as a service is based on the latest generation of network switches from Brocade (ICX7450). Each switch switch provides 48 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ-48 PoE+ ports with eight pre-assigned ports supporting PoH (95W). By default each switch contains a single power supply supporting 48 PoE ports (15.4W) and 24 PoE+ (30W) ports. Additional power supplies can be added allowing all 48 ports to support PoE+. To allow connection to the wider network and other services 4 ports of 1/10GbE SFP+ Ports are provided with 2x 10GbE Short Range Optics provided as part of the service. The ICX7450-48P has the following capabilities.
- Switching capacity (Data rate, full duplex) of 336Gbps
- Stack density of 12 switches providing upto 576 ports per stack.
- Supports long range stacking of upto 10KM (short range stacking is our standard service but we can provide an enhanced service including long range stacking upon request)
- Layer 2 Switching
- Static Layer 3 switching upgradable to dynamic through an enhanced service upon request
- Supports Quality of Service and Traffic Management
- Supports a wide range of Security standings including 802.1X Authentication
- Software Defined Network Ready supporting OpenFlow V1.0 and V1.3